'/>

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pair of 1920's pen, ink and watercolor drawings of costume or set design clothing.

I love stuff like this because it makes me think. My first glance at these made me think they were schoolboy or schoolgirl art class pieces. Maybe even high school or college. Young people back then could do some incredible handiwork. I have had paintings inscribed with sayings like "Painted by Sarah Lawler, Age 10" on the back and I was always amazed.

After studying them a little closer I started to think they were done by a more trained hand, like an illustrator or cartoonist. Remember, political satire type cartoons could be quite elaborate and magazines like Colliers had tons of drawings in them in the 20's. The reason I think they are by a trained artists are the eyes. They are very stylized. A students work  probably wouldn't be like that. Another interesting thing I noticed is on the girl in the Carmen Miranda dress has little circles for elbows. The "Gay 90's" woman's arms were finished. Is Carmen a marionette or perhaps one of those jointed, wooden artist models? Interesting. Whatever, they are REALLY charming.

 Available for purchase here

Available for purchase here

No comments:

Post a Comment