'/>

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sometimes I see paintings I just can't figure out.

Gulp, this is a tangy one for sure. One of my art mentors the late Frank Stewart of Spencer, Indiana used to use the word "tangy" a lot to describe paintings that were the visual equivalent of biting into a lemon. This one ia that way for sure.


Was it done as a mural study, a set design for a play or a magazine illustration? Is it some guys contrived view of American history using pop culture figures to illustrate that history? It has WPA inspiration but isnt that old. See the factories, flappers, Lucky Lindy, Charlie Chaplin and the old Edison? It looks more like 1950's or 1960's to me. See Jack Dempsey and Mary Poppins. It is an original gouache on illustration board signed Alvin Gilbertson. Beyond that, I need to ponder it some more.







No comments:

Post a Comment