'/>

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Hazel Home Art and Antiques Wausau, Wisconsin

Friday, April 24, 2015

Antique and vintage seafood advertising tins.

I picked up a real neat Wisconsin piece today. Holland Style Herring, packed by B.A. Griffin Co., Inc. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The graphics on it are off the charts. The background is a log cabin and the Herring with the star and letter "A" logo is great.  It is available for purchase here, but it made me think of the Oyster tins I used to collect.



The field of old advertising collectables and antiques is huge. If it was made, and sold, in a container of any kind, somebody today collects it. In fact, there is probably an International Club of people that collect the same things. I have tried to stay away from advertising items for a couple reasons. One, there are price guides for almost everything in the advertising field. That being the case, price becomes the issue and I dont want that. The second reason is the amount of reproductions out there, especially of the common, well-known products. So I have just stayed away for the most part.

However, in about 1982 I was doing an antique show in South Bend, Indiana. It was in some cruddy hotel conference room. Another dealer had about 10 antique, one gallon oyster tins for sale. By Sunday afternoon he was tired of looking at them and I was tired of looking at an old split cane, 9 foot salmon rod with three different tips. We traded and I really fell for oyster tins. Here are a few really cool ones. For the most part they came in one gallon size but occasionally quarts and pints are found.








No comments:

Post a Comment